Group A/B/C: Safeguarding Children with Disabilities/ SEND
16 March 2021
09.30 – 16.00
Aim of the course
This course aims to develop delegates’ knowledge and skills in safeguarding children and young people with disabilities.
By the end of the course participants will have:
- Explored different models of disability and how they might impact on the process of assessing risk
- Examined how societal beliefs and attitudes can impact on the protection of disabled children
- Identified additional vulnerabilities of disabled children to the different categories of abuse
- Considered the communication skills necessary when working with disabled children in order to ascertain their experiences
- Considered how to ensure that child protection systems are used effectively to safeguard disabled children
- Understood the impact on parents of caring for a disabled child and what types of support they may need
- Considered how coordinated multi-agency responses can contribute to promoting the safety and welfare of disabled children.